Thursday 8 January 2009

I love to take photos....... not!

Well after seeing a thread on www.folksy.com asking if I had blogged today I've been guilted into coming here to chat about my latest adventures. Really it's only my 3rd day into blogging, they say it takes 21 days to create a habit.... mmmm that is obviously a physical doing habit.

So photos, we all hate taking them, especially jewellery pics and more so this time of year as most of us rely on the natural daylight. My photos are a neverending improvement process and that's not been helped by me having been moved about the house while rooms are being renovated. I have it on good authority (my very handy hubby who is doing all the work to our home) that I will be back in my studio / office by Sunday evening and for good. Yah, I am excited.

I have decided that I will build a light box area and redo all my pics. I have been purusing Craft Obsessions for some nice cardstock to use as a background, I already have a decent macro camera. Last things on my list are a frosted bin / bucket to diffuse the light and just 1 more lamp as I have 1 good one. I've read a few good articles today on photographing jewellery, here's a good one on the macro feature: http://autonomousartisans.blogspot.com

As soon as I have redone my pictures I will show some examples and offer some tips.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.miabellejewellery.esty.com

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your light box area (very grand, a whole area!) I spent ages making a light box but somehow it hadn't dawned on me I needed decent lights...so I'm back to freezing to bits outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some articles on small item photography and my own lighting diffuser that might help:
    http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/artisan.html
    Diffuser:
    http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/lighting.html

    My blog with various snippets on item photography too:
    http://boojewels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, posted comment as Shop Handmade, argh still getting used to this blogging.

    Thanks for the comments, Nifty it won't really be that grand, just a corner near the window but I want it to be set up all the time unlike before.

    Thanks for the links Boo, will read them tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean! It is my worst thing to do aswell, I always feel let down by my images! The light at the moment is just terrible, I can stand it! I made a little light box but it's still not that great. I hear tracing paper can be a good diffuser, but the really good thick quality stuff. I have some if you'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete